In this episode of Freedom Lovin’, Kevin discusses how rewarding certain behaviors, far from encouraging them, can actually hinder the desired behavior from taking root. By offering external rewards for certain behaviors, we often create a dependency on rewards for continued good behavior and at the same time handicap the ability to make good decisions in the long term.
- Kevin’s visit to Florianopolis, BR
- Kevin’s application for his St. Lucia passport
- Intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation
- How rewarding certain behaviors diminishes critical thinking, the quality of the desired behavior, and long-term habits
- How the modern school system perpetuates this destructive pattern of using rewards and suppresses children’s natural creativity
- How this pattern of rewarding behaviors infects most modern workplaces
Punished by Rewards by Alfie Kohn
Follow Freedom Lovin’:
Please give us a rating & review on iTunes!